Weeds usually comes as an unpleasant and unwelcome guest in your lawn. There are different kinds of weed. Not all are dangerous to the human health, just as Purslane.
It is native to Indian sub-continent and is distributed all over the world from India. There are different types of Purslane will reference to the size of the leaf, the arrangement of leaf, the thickness of leaf and pigment distribution. This may be a type of weed but it has numerous health benefits, but mostly are harmful so people kill them using commercial weed killers.
So, before you work on getting rid of any weed in your lawn, make sure it’s not Purslane, or you may be doing a little loss to your health. It is a low sprawling weed which grows usually at farm rows, cracks of sidewalks and edges of the lawn. It is quite recognizable but if you do not know much about varieties of weed, then this post may help you understand more about beneficial weeds.
How does it look?
Purslane is an edible type of weed and many cultures have made it a part of their food. It has freshly succulent leaves and stems; you will also see yellow flowers growing on it. They resemble a lot to the baby jade plants. The stem of Purslane lays flat on the ground as it radiates from a single taproot. It may form large mats of leaves sometimes.
It is edible, surprise!
It is grown as a staple leafy vegetable. Its leaves are mucilaginous, thick and have a sour and salty taste. Its unique taste makes it a desirable item to add to your routine sandwich and other food items. It is considered a food from the Biblical period. Many of you will be surprised to know that Purslane is rich in vitamin A, C and E. it is also a cherish able course of Omega3 fatty acids. There is no other vegetable that is as rich as this one in Omega3. Other than the leaves and stems, its flowers are also edible. They are more likely to be added to salads. It is often used in soups to add a bit o sour taste and fragrance. People prefer it in omelets, stews and other recipes with intense flavors. Its seeds look like black tea powder granules which are often used in making herbal drinks.
Health benefits of Purslane
Purslane is a type of weed, and weed is often considered to be a harmful thing to grow in your surroundings. Not only for the humans but plants may also have adverse effects of having weed around them. But, not in the case of Purslane. It has a lot of health benefits, some of which are given below.
• It is a low-calorie food item, which means you can add a large portion of Purslane in your salad if you are a calorie conscious person.
• Purslane is a rich in dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins. It means it fulfills all the energy and nutritional requirements of a person. It gives you the energy to carry out the routine tasks without any fatigue.
• There is least or no fat count in Purslane. It is ideal for a healthy diet plan given other nutritional benefits.
• The fresh leaves of Purslane contain more quantity of Omega3 than any other leafy vegetable. 100 grams of Purslane provides 350 mg of α-linolenic acid. Numerous researches have shown that an adequate amount of Omega3 reduces the risks of heart diseases, stroke and also prevents the development f autism and other developmental issues in children. So you can add this to the sandwich in their lunch to take a step towards a healthy diet.
• It is a rich source of vitamin A. Purslane is one of the green leafy vegetables that contains the highest amount of vitamin A. we know that vitamin A is an essential element in nutritional requirements and is a powerful antioxidant. It promotes healthy skin and hair.
• Other than vitamin A, Purslane is also a rich source of vitamin C and B-complex. It has a sufficient amount of magnesium, calcium, iron, manganese and potassium. All of these elements are necessary to carry out the routine functions of the body properly.
• There are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments in Purslane; reddish β –cyanins and yellow β –xanthins. Both of them are antioxidants and possess anti-mutagenic properties.
Tip to buy Purslane
Always buy fresh Purslane. The leaves that are greener and healthy looking are fresh. If there are any dark spots on the leaves or stem then it might be a little older, so keep looking for the fresh ones until you find some.
Purslane contains a little amount of oxalic acid, so if you have any problem related to urinary tract stones then you must avoid eating Purslane leaves or stems. It may trigger the problem because your body is always working hard to deal with excess acids in the body.